Wednesday 19 March 2014

March Theme: Predictably Autumn

This blog is meant to a photo a day on a monthly theme. If I'm not careful, it's going to turn into '15 lots of photos in 2 days in a rushed, scrambling attempt to make sure there's a photo on the theme for each day of the month'. 

I've finally decided that this month's theme is 'Autumn'. March is the first month of autumn in Australia and my god, the Blue Mountains have rushed to embrace the change of season! 

A bit too eagerly, if you ask me. 

The shift of seasons is more gradual in Sydney. When you are getting 28-degree days, you don't mind slowly cooling evenings. But when temperatures shift as abruptly as the flick of a switch (or so it seems!), well then the shift feels quick and annoyingly over-eager. 

I'm still pathetically calling after Summer, saying 'come back! You can't leave yet. Just hang around a bit more...' Leaving sobbing messages on Summer's voicemail, while Autumn puts its feet up, tucks its hands behind its head and watches my antics with wry amusement. 

I'm not the Shakespeare-quoting type, but sometimes one line says it all:
"Summer's lease has all too short a date".

Anyway, for March, I'm embracing autumn (reluctantly) and looking to the beauty that does come with the cooling, crisp days. The days shorten alarmingly quickly, mist rolls, swirls and dances in the Blue Mountains valleys, and deciduous trees begin to sing their songs of multiple colours...

No comments:

Post a Comment